SailNet Community - View Single Post - golf cart battery installation
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2014

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: golf cart battery installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeador View Post

So now comes the question of how do I install them. I bought four single-battery boxes from Defender, so I think physical installation is handled, but I'm wondering about electrical. My existing system is two "banks" of one Group 27 each, wired to a 1-2-both-off switch (separate positive and negative cable for each). I do not have a separate starting battery nor do I have space for one. I have never treated these banks as separate, the switch is always either off or both. Thus I intend to wire them as a single bank. It will also ease installation of my new battery monitor (Victron BMV-700, to better obsess over my new batteries, of course), which wants a shunt in the negative lead to the bank. Does this seem like a good idea?
Definitely wire them as one contiguous bank if you are using a shunt based battery monitor.. One large bank is also more efficient than two smaller banks.. It is easy enough for a battery monitor to get out of synch wiring two banks and using them as one via a switch will only lead to more eventual human errors and thus counting errors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeador View Post
I'm thinking jumpers between two sets of two batteries to make them 12V, then jumpers between the 12Vs and grounds, respectively, to form them into a single bank. I'll then connect my two positive leads to the combiner switch to one "corner" of the bank, and the two negatives to the other corner. What size wire should I use for the jumpers? My system is a mix of 1/0 (or maybe 2/0) cables to the bank plus 4/0 from the combiner to the inverter/charger. I'm thinking the jumpers should be 1/0 or 2/0 but I'm not sure which. They'll be very short, probably only about a foot.

Thanks!
If you have 2/0 use that, 1/0 would work...

One way:

Same wiring just all batts in one box before it was epoxied.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook