SailNet Community - View Single Post - SCREWED
Thread: SCREWED
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2002

nauticalrich is on a distinguished road
SCREWED

Going through a broker I was all set to purchase a 1985 Hunter. All that was left was the survey. Concerned about having to pay for the survey and haul out I asked the broker to check with the owner on two things:
Keel material and verification of the hull condition from the owner.
It was stated Lead for the keel and that the hull was in good condition, nothing wrong with it.

Ok so I took a vacation day to have it hauled and surveyed. When it came out of the water the keel was iron of which I found out is what Hunter keels are made of about a day or two prior to the haul out. Ok no big deal. However, on the bottom of the hull to the rear of the keel there was an indent in the plastic around a foot in area. You could push it up with your finger. There was delamination but had to be internal damage to make the hull go inward. The surveyor and I agreed to end it there.
I didn''t purchase the boat, am waiting for my deposit back and am out around $700.00.
Since the boat is out of the water the owner is going to have it repaired. He saved on the haul out thanks to me.

My reason for sharing this experience with the internet is to let you know "don''t trust any one". When buying a boat everyone is protected, the seller the broker but not the buyer.

Screwed and pissed off at my fellow man. I just throught $700.00 and a vacation out the window.

How the hell can you buy a boat safely?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook