SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchoring/leaving under sail
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2014
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Re: Anchoring/leaving under sail

lol i SAILED into the work dock in shelter island boatyard once..lol my engine had issues and i was taking SAILboat to the yard for yanmar work. as we sailed into dock, folks looked panicked and concerned.....we did perfect.....showed em how to do this..was fun. i was later advised tha t we do NOT allow folks to SAIl into docks in san diego..mebbe it is because one notoriously abusive sailor did once and hit a few boats.....hhmmmmmm
sailing into an anchorage will cause similar concern, as folks do not understand that SAILboats do just that...SAIL

leaving a mooring or anchor....raise jib first , sail off, when into more open water, then raise main. happy sailing.

this was our first lesson (i was 7 yrs old) when learning how to sail, as uncle kept his classic engineless sloop on a mooring. very good progression of teaching. i was most fortunate to have had an old salt as a maestro for sailing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41,ahoomail cruising

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by zeehag; 04-30-2014 at 12:02 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook