SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchoring/leaving under sail
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
Re: Anchoring/leaving under sail

We sail on and off the anchor if the wind is blowing enough to move the boat, at all. Nobody has ever given us any grief about it and I couldn't imagine why they would.
We often have the engine running, though not in gear obviously, as a precaution. We also do not sail through the crowd (what would be the point?), anchoring outside the pack, making it easier to sail off the anchor.
However, I consider it totally imprudent to sail in or out of a marina, or anywhere where we might inconvenience ANY other vessel, or where there is the remotest possibility that my mistake could cause damage to another person's boat.
I couldn't imagine why anyone would care (can you be more specific about which CC you found this in), whether I power or sail on and off my anchor. Most boaters seem to fear even sailing into huge bays such as Rodney, Admiralty, Portsmouth Bays, or even FdF, preferring to power in from the farthest point of land on either the north or south end of the bay, even if it's miles and miles of powering. Go figure. I can honestly foresee the day when fuel efficiency makes most of those sailing today, the power boaters of tomorrow.