SailNet Community - View Single Post - mounting chartplotter
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
My experience:

I have and always will use the Navpods. I am not saying the others are wrong or right, I just like the products and they are well made for day/night/dry/wet. I know this may contradict some of the things above. Also, I do, as was posted above, keep a canvas cover on it.

THe nav pod will not be stolen easily. It will take time and effort. If they are willing to take that much time, the truth is that they will likely have the time to go down below too. I have had an outboard stolen, never any electronics.

Also, the point was made about using a CP in the cockpit versus the nav station. On that fact, my experience is considerably differnt. If I could only choose one place, it would definitely be in the cockpit. You can't stad watch from down below and when offshore the radar will see things long before you do. Also, when navigating in close and tight areas that are unfarmiliar, I have found it a very valuable aid. I remember going down the ICW one night in pitch black darkness. The radar picked up nuns and cans that were not on the CP and did not show markers that should have been there. Depending on the area you cruise, getting slightly out of the ICW will put you on the hard.

I hope that answers your question(s). I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here... just opinions.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook