SailNet Community - View Single Post - Downside of living aboard
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2014
new and proud of it

w1651 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to w1651
Re: Downside of living aboard

I have been living aboard my 1972 Contest 33 for two years now. I bought my boat for a low price and it needed a lot of work. I have replaced chain plates, painted the decks and added non skid, replaced the life lines, (learned how to splice double braid doing that) I have replaced the electrical panel and switches, I still have to fuse other wiring on board. I just got the old girl off the hard and back to the dock. I painted the bottom, replaced all sea cocks, replaced a thru hull, removed the engine that was seized up, repacked the stuffing box,replaced the old prop with a 3 blade, stripped out the head added another bilge pump. I still have a lot of work ahead of me but I am getting there.
I don't sail because the sea cocks were so old and corroded they fell apart when I touched them with wrench. I knew they were bad but I didn't realize how bad they were. I had to sail it to where it is now. You want to see a scared stink pot owner sail your boat out of the marina past his 50ft Scarrib he just bought new. Good times indeed.
I will now put in electric drive and when that is done I will get out there and back to it. I am also on a 5 year schedule to get my contest 33 into shape where I feel safe sailing it. I did a lot to move towards that goal last week. And in a month or two I will have it out and learn how my boat performs and get that under my belt too.
I would say that if you are living the dream of others you read about when you climb on your new old boat to live you will fail. I like to tinker, I like to stay busy, I don't need a lot to be happy,I like minimal living and being off the grid survival.To me it's the challenge that makes it all worth while. Have I had a bad day on my boat sure I have. You probably heard me cuss it like the sailor I want to become.
But I get back in the game learn and ask others how to do it and fix what needs fixing. I have a job and work 6 days a week but I set achievable goals and try to do one thing a week while at the dock.
My boat like I said is not close to where I want it but now that I feel safe to sail it I can do a lot on the water while cruising. And did you really buy a boat to sit at a dock? Not me I'm going under the radar. Self sufficiency is where it's at in my mind. If you would like to see have a peak below.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/penneys__auto/
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook