SailNet Community - View Single Post - Reef Points
Thread: Reef Points
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2007
phallo 1, Gustav 0

phallo153 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirateofcapeann View Post
Just some things to keep in mind: The reef points are only meant to secure bunt of the sail from flogging about when the reef is tucked in. Don’t try to shape the sail with the points! The points won’t handle the strain and the sail will become stretched out and possibly tear. Also, if possible, don’t make the points around the boom. Make them around the foot of the sail only. If your sail uses a boltrope that slides into the boom track, you won’t be able to avoid this.
Very important advice that I learned the hard way. I tore the sail at a tie point, although it wasn't loose-footed and I had to go around the boom. The sail may have torn anyway since it was pretty worn and unrepairable; new loose-footed main is on the way.

For the original poster - my original main had two tie points, with a foot or so of 3/8" line knotted on each side to keep it in place.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by phallo153; 08-13-2007 at 06:40 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook