SailNet Community - View Single Post - Price fixing on new boats
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2002

RyanMI25 is on a distinguished road
Price fixing on new boats

I guess I''ll chime back in now that Denr has managed to ruin this discussion beyond hope. I didn''t mention any brand in the beginning because I wanted to know more about dealer practice then any boat brand. Maybe someday we''ll see Denr post something useful that isn''t just a slew of insults.

That being said Denr should pull his head out of his behind. For someone like my dad who is old, likes to sail but isn''t real gung ho about it Catalina can be the perfect boat. For someone who is basically a nice weather sailer and doesn''t need any offshore ability at all they are a very good boat.

He can not get a better boat used for the same money. The roller furling main is the perfect option for someone who is never going to race and will not sail in winds approaching where someone would normally reef. There are very few used boats available with that option and it is very expensive to retrofit.

I personally am on my second Catalina and planning on purchasing a third one (older Catalina 36) when the financials allow it. My brain must just be brimming to the top with tumors and I''m probably going to fall over dead before I get the chance to by my third. Catalina is definetely the most popular boat in the area I am (Lake St Clair) and for some reason although they may only represent 30% or so of the boats you see at the dock they seem to be 95% of the boats you see actually getting used on a regular basis. There are enough older boats around that they clearly aren''t sinking at 5 years when the warranty expires as you would have as believe. In this area there are several very active owners groups that offer much help and knowledge. I don''t see that kind of owner support available for any other brand of boat.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook