SailNet Community - View Single Post - Embedded Chain plate maint/replacement
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2014

edakira is on a distinguished road
Re: Embedded Chain plate maint/replacement

An update from my end, ChucklesR. I just had my plates x-rayed (7 of 8 - they couldnt do forward bobstay down at waterline). An outfit that does oil and gas pipeline based in TX theyd never done a sailboat before. The images were very clear and revealing from top of plate down below "bastard" bar and below first of 3 cross bars. I had a local surveyor present to monitor and inspect images w the techs - who were all certified. We were very impressed and pleased w the results, and most importantly the plates all looked clean and free of cracks and corrosion. Cost me a hundred dollars per plate ($700) and makes me feel very confident moving forward w a Gulf crossing planned soon. I can upload a few images once I rcv from surveyor. So much gleaned from your in depth documentation of your own process and understanding exactly what we were looking for and exact plate shape etc. Here's a diagram of the forward bobstay FYI that I rcvd from Gene Gammon. Its from a bigger irwin but he said they were pretty consistent in style. Hope all goes well w your install. Obviously something I'll look forward to someday in the near future as I ponder the long term fix. --E
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 54 Cert bob stay.jpg (46.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 54 cert. hull deck.jpg (52.0 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook