SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lets talk about trailer tires!
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2007
Roadkillibus Texanis

retclt will become famous soon enough retclt will become famous soon enough
We have a heavy "Performance" trailer out of Florida under our Chrysler 26. Boat and trailer together weigh about 7500 lbs. We bought the trailer used with Carlisle tires and the sway was really bad. I thought we might loose it several times on a two hour trip. I moved the boat forward a foot which did help a little. We dumped the old Carlisle's for BF Goodrich commercial truck tires and keep 38 psi in them. The difference in trailer v truck/car tires is the sidewall. Trailer tires are made with thick side walls and crappy tread and that goes for just about all of them. The idea (manufacturers) was that they needed to be strong in the sides and the tread didn't matter because the tires would die of old age and cracking before enough miles were put on to wear them down. The tread didn't need to tout handling since, well, who would know unless they rode in the trailer. BF Goodrich commercial tires are very thick and heavy and track great! I love them. Go to a tire store and put your hands inside them and compare to non commercial. There will be a dramatic difference. My opinion is - commercial truck tires beat trailer tires. We still get a very slight sway on occasion at high speeds 65-70 but I suspect it is because we don't have proper anti-sway equipment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob T

"I cannot not sail" - E. B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook