SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ready, set, JUMP!
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2007

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Max

I did the over winter thing in Woodbridge two years ago and I did drain and winterize the boat pretty well. I used oil filled heaters and that kept the chill down, never really got warm though. The marina did shut the water off from Mid Dec (unless it was unusually warm) through warmer weather in the spring.

The biggest problems I had was icing of the sliding doors on my trawler...jsut too much moisture and low temps = locked out. You will need to watch the shore connections, especially with radiant heat. I lasted till Early Feb before finding a hotel for a few nites. Not so cold as too windy to walk the long ice covered pier with a two laptops, safely. I always had this fear of falling in and sinking to the bottom with two laptops.

Last year I moved back to a sailboat, did not winterize, but kept the heaters going, and was much more comfortable.

Like eryka, it is all in what you get used to, and can adjust to. Nothing like walking to the bath house at 6 am, with 30 mph wind and 20 degrees out..

all the best and Ft. Washington is very convenient and quite economical all things considered. On the northern neck of VA, where we are, there are some people that commute to DC every am (very early) and I even know a few who do that from Lake Anna, just to enjoy a water front life style.

dave
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook