SailNet Community - View Single Post - Nightmare on Pigeon Lake
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Sapper...you said:
So you knowingly anchor inside of someone elses swing radius because you think they have to much rode out?

I know that sounds stupid...but here is the full story. It takes place in Marsh Harbor in the Bahmas which is a shallow and VERY crowded anchorage whenever a front is scheduled to pass through as everyone on surrounding Cays comes in for shelter.
There was a guy there who used to come in to the center of the anchorage and lay down 150'+ of chain, and yell at anyone who came within that circle. This was in 7-8 feet of water where even 100 ft. would have been overkill. It was also not a one time thing. If someone wants to anchor with 15:1 scope in a deserted anchorage...no problem...but not in a crowded harbor where there is not enough protected room for everyone and when laying out twice as much rode as is necessary for storm conditions means you've taken up the space that four other boats could have used. So YES...I anchored in front of him on about 80 ft. and waited for him to yell at me...which he did...and then I told him to get stuffed...and that I would cut his rode if he swung into me. He pulled his anchor and moved the boat...which was my plan! I knew he couldn't stand it from past experience & didn't care if he thought I was an ass. Would not be my normal procedure but sometimes you just have to take a stand.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook