SailNet Community - View Single Post - Newbie Needs Mast Unstepping Advice
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2007

jimmiebuchanan is on a distinguished road
Newbie Needs Mast Unstepping Advice

I just bought my first sailboat. It is a 27 foot 1972 Newport. I am having it shipped the day after tomorrow and so I will be having the mast unstepped before hauling out and stepped after it gets put back in the water. I want to do everything I can to minimize the charges I incur from the boatyards. I'm not really sure exactly how to prepare the mast for being unstepped. I'm guessing I should basically take everything I can off the mast besides the standing rigging and make sure the turnbuckles aren't frozen. Here's where my naivete' really shows. Once they pull the mast, wouldn't it be easiest if I just detached the standing rigging from the top of the mast instead of wasting time trying to pack it secrely to the mast? Also, I need to remove the spreaders so the shipper can put the mast on his truck. Is that a big deal? I don't even know how they are attached or if I am going to need any special tools. The boat is out of town, so I can't look at it and try to figure these things out on my own until I get there. I guess I'm mainly wondering if this sounds like something someone with minimal knowledge and basic tools can do in a timely manner. Thanks in advance for any advice at all.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook