SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Proper winch technique?

4K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  jeremiahblatz 
#1 ·
See less See more
#2 ·
No. You need one hand for yourself and one for the boat. The sailor in this photo is already dead.

:)

Medsailor

PS I like the velcro... A boat I race on doesn't have a good place for winch handle holders and could really use some of that.

#3 ·
Don't like the fingers in the bight... a one handed grip far enough from the drum to put on another full wrap is what we do..

#4 · (Edited)
I can see at least three things wrong.

Aside from a reversed photo.

#5 ·
Likewise. The fingers in the bight are a bad idea even for the lazy sheet which I assume this is. Probably too many wraps. Can't tell about the lead angle but 4 wraps often means override.
If we're heading into a tack, the soon to be trimmer should be standing, feet on either side of the winch.
I don't get where the sheet tail is going but maybe I just need to get out on some newer designs.

#7 · (Edited)
Very hard to figure what's going on here...at least for me.

The winch is being loaded counterclockwise instead of clockwise, However the self-tailing guide is set up to accept the feed this way.
(Edit: in the article's photo it's clockwise..)

There's too many wraps imo.

Where's the load? behind him? it comes in a little low on the drum, I prefer to face the sail, so I can see what's going on

Fingers facing the drum...is never a good idea, but with this many wraps most of the load would be off ( my sail at least)

#8 ·
1) Too many wraps on the winch to start. You really only need two (maybe three to start. This one will have 5 when finished. That is a clear invitation to an override.

2) The line should be held with the thumbs away from the winch, it is easier to pull on the line that way. And easier to let go if needed.

3) The other hand should never be used loop lines onto the winch. Having your hand inside the bight could result in that hand being jammed into the winch if the line starts to run.

This is a good video.

I teach three the standards for 4 different organizations. They all agree on this approach to winch safety.

#12 ·
How do you avoid, or cope with, twists in the sheet that form when you unwrap? These twists tend to jam in the jib car as the jib moves across.

You can see the twists I mean in the video at about 2:20. I single hand so rather than "let it fly" and pull in on the new leeward side I let it fly ... Then pull in, then back to the windward side and un-jam ... Then haul in on the leeward ... Then back to windward to un-jam, then back to leeward for the final adjustment. Very inelegant, maddening at times.

Is it technique, or perhaps I need a more slippery jib sheet?

#10 ·
The original image has been fixed.

I still insist that the photo is poor winch technique.

#16 ·
I tend to agree with Jackdale about winch technique. Though I add in lean over the winch as you put the wrap on and keep your hand about a foot away from the drum.

Stand above and pull straight up. as said by med sailor.

Never found a coiled sheet to be a problem.
Lines wet which have dried can be stiff. if they are a bit kinked chuck the tail over and two for a while it will remove any kinks

#17 ·
For avoiding the twists, I find it helps to keep a little tension on the sheet as it pulls through my hand as it eases. This tends to straighten out the line before it runs through the fairlead. As for the stiff lines, they may have a lot of salt in them. A soak in fresh water might soften them up a bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.