SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hull Speed
Thread: Hull Speed
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Hull Speed

This is a good discussion but a couple points here.

While some boats with long over hangs increase in speed as the boat heels not all do. In the current thinking, the boats that do increase in speed, do not increase in speed because the waterline is getting longer as previously thought, but because the counter is submerged increasing the buoyance aft and helping prevent the stern from squatting.

Moving crew forward as a boat comes off the top of a wave can help a boat surf sooner. (Similar to walking toward the front of a surfboard.)

I think that it is not just a matter of lower displacements per se but the degree of fineness of the bow and stern. There are boats that are considered semi-planing or semi-displacement hulls. These boats easily achieve speeds well over the theortical 1.34 times the square root of the waterline length. The issue that creates hull speed is about the energy required to push a boat against the resistance of its own combined bow and stern wave. When you talk about semi-displacement hulls great effort is made to reduce the height of the bow and stern wave at speed so that while the boat may not actually climb up on its own combined bow and stern wave (i.e. plane) it takes less energy to overcome the drag of its own combined bow and stern wave. Typically these are boats with comparatively fine bows and waterline beams, comparatively shallow canoe bodies and fairly powerful stern sections. If you look at most IMS typeform boats or the Volvo Ocean race boats that is where they get their speeds well in excess of the theoretical 1.34 number. Almost all catamarrans do not plane but infact get their speed though small wave making (i.e. semi-planning).

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook