SailNet Community - View Single Post - Health / Medical Insurance for Cruisers
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2007

SuzySailor is on a distinguished road
Health / Medical Insurance for Cruisers

Hey all~

I have done due diligence and searched both this site and SSCA, and found nothing truly helpful on this topic. I really need some help, and I know from doing lots of searching that I'm not alone in this dilemma. We're quitting jobs soon and moving onto the boat, planning to start cruising asap. The present obstacle, a serious one, is health insurance. We're in our early 50's (yikes! that sounds old!) and quite healthy, at least so we thought until we started looking for insurance. Long story short (you're welcome! )-- of the thousands of companies in existance, all of them would be happy to "insure" our healthy 19 yr-old son, and there might even be a few who are willing to receive a monthly donation of $500-$1000 from us, but we're not at all convinced that, if we need any help from them in return, they'll be there.

So here's the question, which sounds oh so much simpler than it is~~ can anyone recommend, from personal experience, a reasonably priced, dependable health insurance plan that works in both US and abroad?? I know that everyone is different, and that we might all pick different variations of an ideal plan, but give me somewhere to start-- give me a name. Thanks.

Last edited by SuzySailor; 08-16-2007 at 06:24 AM. Reason: literary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook