SailNet Community - View Single Post - westsail 32, that bad?
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2007
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
For a boat that "will be lived aboard for a year or two and eventually taken all over the globe", I think the WestSail 32 is an excellent choice for a minimal to modest budget.

It sounds like you've heard the negatives and the positives. Why not ask someone to take you for a sale on one? Or how about a seatrial?

If you only like the W32 for the aesthetic appeal and interior feel, you can probably find other boats that will also satisfy you. However, the bluewater ability of the W32 and the looks and feel for the price might be unmatched.

I think it basically boils down to your sailing priorities. Do you want to get there fast? Maybe look elsewhere. Do you prefer to enjoy the journey and want the peace of mind that a proven boat gives? The WestSail is a good choice.

Another factor is your budget. How much do you have to spend? How much do you have to refit/outfit the boat? I'm assuming part of the WestSail's appeal to you is the value/price.

For what it's worth, the WestSail 32 is on my list of potential purchases for a future round-the-globe trip. A few of my other choices include the PSC 27/31, Southern Cross 31 and the Ta Shing Baba 30 (pricey!).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook