SailNet Community - View Single Post - westsail 32, that bad?
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2007
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
There should be some people on here with more experience on Westsails than me, come on, speak up folks! I have all of one day's sailing experience on a 32, took it out of Kona, HI. Unfortunately there wasn't much wind that day so I can attest to what others have said about light air performance- there wasn't much. On the other hand, there was an enormous amount of room down below, and it was very comfortably laid out. It was overbuilt in every aspect that I could see, obviously this contributes to it's considerable displacement, and easy motion through the water. Even though there wasn't much wind (10K or less) there was a considerable swell and I could tell a lot about the way it would handle rougher conditions. I was completely enamored with the boat at the end of the day, even though I was disappointed that I didn't get to sail it in some good winds and big rollers. I could definitely see myself crossing an ocean in one of these, although I might store some extra food and water in case it took a might longer than expected. Personally, IMHO, I think that the ability to sail fast enough to avoid heavy weather is mostly a myth in all but the fastest ocean racers(and experienced skippers), so I would rather be in a boat that can take almost anything that can be thrown at it. The Westsail 32 has endured and has a loyal following, if you are attracted to this type of boat I'd say go for it.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook