SailNet Community - View Single Post - westsail 32, that bad?
View Single Post
post #12 of Old 08-15-2007
jrd22
Courtney the Dancer

There should be some people on here with more experience on Westsails than me, come on, speak up folks! I have all of one day's sailing experience on a 32, took it out of Kona, HI. Unfortunately there wasn't much wind that day so I can attest to what others have said about light air performance- there wasn't much. On the other hand, there was an enormous amount of room down below, and it was very comfortably laid out. It was overbuilt in every aspect that I could see, obviously this contributes to it's considerable displacement, and easy motion through the water. Even though there wasn't much wind (10K or less) there was a considerable swell and I could tell a lot about the way it would handle rougher conditions. I was completely enamored with the boat at the end of the day, even though I was disappointed that I didn't get to sail it in some good winds and big rollers. I could definitely see myself crossing an ocean in one of these, although I might store some extra food and water in case it took a might longer than expected. Personally, IMHO, I think that the ability to sail fast enough to avoid heavy weather is mostly a myth in all but the fastest ocean racers(and experienced skippers), so I would rather be in a boat that can take almost anything that can be thrown at it. The Westsail 32 has endured and has a loyal following, if you are attracted to this type of boat I'd say go for it.

John
SV Laurie Anne

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome