SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lets talk about trailer tires!
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2007

rewell6 is on a distinguished road
Looks like Rick tried to give me a beat down. However I have been trailering since I was 13 (lived on a farm) and the only time I felt I even needed a sway bar was on our 26' travel trailer. Tractors and farm equipment on the roads before I even had a license, boats, lawn equipment, cargo trailers, auto transports, toads, you name it. Even a tractor trailer, yes I have a CDL, for about 8 years now. Never had an accident, never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBowman View Post
Talk about misinformation mixed in with tire specifications.
Rick please point out the minsinformation. I will definately eat my words, repost the corrections and make an apology on this board for being a bumbling idiot. I'm sure there are no other bumbling idiots here.

Quote:
You don't even follow your own advice that you so freely give on trailer tounge loading?
Our new to us "stink potter" with the 1% tongue weight, well we purchased it this way. I haven't decided if I want to change the tongue weight or not yet. I am in the middle of repowering it. I merely stated our 1% because there is no standard for tongue weight % and our set up works great so far. I have seen 5-10%, 7-9%, 10-15% recommendations. What might be right on 1 set up may not work on another. We have a 3/4ton suburban and it is heavy and long, a shorter, lighter vehicle this might not work with.

Quote:
Then you get more interesting regarding your opinion on sway bars?
Now about sway bars

Taken from the ezloadercustoms site:

"Can I use load anti-sway (load equalizers) bars on my EZ Loader custom trailer that has brakes?

Yes and No. If you have "hydraulic surge" brakes, the brakes work when you slow down and the momentum of the trailer tries to catch up with you which "surges" the trailer forward, activating the hydraulic plunger in the actuator. This compresses the brake fluid and activates the brakes. Most anti-sway bars or load equalizer bars attach from the towing vehicle to the frame or the trailer and prevent the trailer from surging forward, and therefore prevent the brakes from working. There are a few companies now making an anti-sway bar that is made specifically to work with hydraulic surge brakes. This is the only acceptable ones that you can use and still have your trailer brakes work."

Most sway bars are designed to work on "A" frame trailers and electric brakes, not pole trailers and surge brakes, which is what a boat trailer is. A boat doesn't have near the amount of frontal area that a travel trailer or cargo trailer has. A sway bar is not designed to fix a bad setup, it is only to help control the sway. If your trailer is swaying uncontrollably a sway bar will not "fix" it.

Quote:
You scare the hell out of me and are a menace to highway saftey.
How can I scare the hell out of you, it would take a 2 day drive to get here. And if you drove in Atlanta traffic you would learn how to be a "menance to highway safety" as well.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook