SailNet Community - View Single Post - Smallest boat you can live with
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road
Re: Smallest boat you can live with

I chose my current boat, like most I have owned on being a good deal or value....at the time of buying it, and one I can refit to my liking etc...

it happens to be my biggest one yet, but definitely not large by any means...solo or doublehanded

I think for me it has always been about best value...only once did I set out to buy a specific boat and that was a folkboat...I looked for the best deal there too

once having it...that was at the limit size wise for myself...while I did hate crouching all the time...the known benefts in performance, ease of handling, single handing, ease of anchoring, maneuverabilty, size of outboard needed, low cost of refitting and replacing parts like rigging and sails all influenced me more than say the size parameters, it was 1 con versus many many pros in my mind at the time...

it had an enclosed head and fully legal holding tank with pumpout...not bad for a 25footer

still miss it

just for kicks mike there was a saying that was VERY popular for a while and might still be(although I see a new niche of frugal crusing again) that went something like this

"BUY THE BIGGEST BOAT YOU CAN AFFORD"

dont know why it became so popular but I think it started a trend where bigger was better and "safer" but based on hearsay not actual facts...

the reasoning for that crowd was that the bigger the boat you could afford the more comfortable, ease of motion and stowabilty you gained making cruising "easier"

but what people failed to see there was that often times they didnt calculate the cost of refitting, engine size, or repowers, cost of rigging and how it escalates so wildly when going up a few "boat" sizes etc...and they often ended with a subpar refitted boat whereas gooing a bit smaller size would of left them more cruising kitty money, or better equipment for the trip etc

a lot of people fail to realize who much costs go up exponentially when going up say from a 27footer to a 32 or 34footer...

there is really a big difference

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to christian.hess For This Useful Post:
oysterman23 (05-05-2014)