SailNet Community - View Single Post - Smallest boat you can live with
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2014

jzk is on a distinguished road
Re: Smallest boat you can live with

Our first "real" sailboat was a Chrysler 26 with an outboard engine for $4000. It slept 6, and we had great times on it.

Then we got a 1971 Irwin 38 that slept six. We had great times on it, but it was much more work.

Then we got a 1973 Tartan 41 that slept six. We had great times on it, but it was even more work.

Then we got a 2000 Beneteau 47.7 that sleeps six. We are having a great time on it, but work is substantial, and annual slip fees are more than the cost of the Chrysler 26. Thinking back, we had every bit as good a time on the Chrysler as the Beneteau. But we just sort of expect more now that we have grown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
Some recent threads about frugality, dreams vs reality, and the small bluewater boats, have me thinking about my boat choice. I forget where I first read this, but the idea of choosing the smallest boat you can live with really has driven my choices.

I like this approach b/c it's about finding the right balance between too large and too small. Too large and the boat becomes unmanageable (both physically and financially), but too small and it becomes too austere, and limits your ability to be self-sufficient.

So I'm curious -- how did you choose your current boat?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook