SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why all the fuss about mcgregor 26's
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2007
Badger Sailor

MSN2Travelers is on a distinguished road
It depends ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondWindMac25 View Post
We're thinking seriously of buying a new 2007 Mac26 and were wondering if you'd be willing to share what changes you'd recommend making to the boat ?
Thanks !!
Think of the Mac 26M as a blank canvas. Any mods/upgrades that you make will reflect your personal needs/style. I have used mine as a day sailor so far and haven't been that concerned about installing the gear that would normally be found on a cruiser (maybe next year).

Get an outboard that will support your needs. Most people will tell you that a good four-stroke EFI that can swing a 14" prop is the way to go. 50 hp is just fine unless you plan to spend most of your time under power pulling people on water toys.

A good GPS chart plotter is a must if you plan on going out on any of the Great Lakes but not as important on inland lakes. A porta potty for the ladies is a standard addition. All lines lead aft to the cockpit is highly desirable. Same holds true for a VHF radio. (Fixed vs handheld)

Hank-on working jib vs. 150 Genoa on a furler is dependant on your level of sailing experience.

The basic cost of the boat is so low that anybody can get into sailing. The cost of the goodies can really climb if you just buy and install without verifying the need. There are a number of great dealers out their but I dougt you will find one that will more time with you before and after the sale than Bill Beers at Boats 4 Sail in Oconomowoc, WI. I'm too new to have an embedded URL so google boats4sail

I can't get more specific without knowing how and where you plan to sail the boat.
`99 Beneteau Oceanis 352, #282 WiTCHCRAFT
Milwaukee, WI
Sailing Lake Michigan and the Great Lakes
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook