SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchor's and engine block away?
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2007

JagsBch is on a distinguished road
Well the craziest thing happened. I moored the boat out using a single 60lb Danforth anchor. Well it remained set for all of 5 days and then the wind/current had its way with it. I get a phone call, your boat is about to run into another boat, my reaction on the way home from work was do I have time to go and get my dingy, no was the reply.

Well panic set in and I was imagining the worst. 29' islander on the loose in 20-25k gusts. I am 30 minutes from the boat and about 10 minutes from arriving to the situation, I somehow got an epiphany, I realized that my boat smashing into another boat was minute in the big picture, I am looking at the sky and through it thinking about the edge of the universe and then this overwhelming since of peace came on me, and I approached the situation without a care in the world being confident that no matter how disastorous the damages could be, that it could be resolved.

So in my calm I go to the marina where my boat had been and as I strolled down the dock, I ran into the dock master walking down and asked him what happened. He told me that he had tied the boat off to the end of the pier and that I could deal with it the next day, so I gave him a giant hug and went off to see the Jaguars scrimmage.

The boat was moored just one boat shy of being the farthest away from the marina, and yet even though it had 360 degree's of horizon it choose to go directly back to the end of the pier it was in. The name of the boat being Kismet, (fate) had me thjinking this boat belonged 2 that peir, the way I figure at this rate it si cheaper to keep it there. LOL

Lesson learned? You can have too big of an anchor, especially if its a Danforth.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook