SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

sales tax/state registration

1K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
Am buying a used boat soon in Florida and will move her out of state soon after. Will probably keep her in Ga or SC for a few months, then go cruising for 2 years. Am I obligated to register my vessel if I''m documented? You can see where I''m going here. Is there a way to minimize the bloody taxes. Any state better than another. Is Delaware the answer? What do most cruisers do? Thanks very much for your help.

#2 ·
I have a documented boat in Florida. Florida does require state registration. I know that the requirement varies from state to state. I understand Georgia is not very boater friendly so they probably require the same.

The fee Florida charges for the registration is not too bad, about $60.00 on my 39 foot boat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.