SailNet Community - View Single Post - golf cart battery installation
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2014

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: golf cart battery installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
One note: if you draw high amperage you may want to consider clamping to the post rather then bolting to the SS studs. They studs can heat up and melt out of the lead. There is simply not enough contact area.

I've got 400A bow thrusters using less than the contact area on a marine battery stud post... We have starters on 800HP diesels with less contact area than a marine stud battery post and they do fine...

The ONLY time I have seen melting of terminals is from improper installation of lugs (bad crimp), improper battery nut torque, improper lug stacking or SS flat washers inserted between ring and battery..

I've never once seen a melted stud post terminal, when properly installed.

I actually dislike clamp style terminals because they tend to creep and stretch over time and tend to get loose. Many of the large cranking batteries today don't even offer clamp posts they are bolt through because of this. If I had a dime for every "clamp" post what was pinched as tight as it would go, until both ears were touching, and I could still twist it by hand......

Heck I have a 100' "Deadliest Catch" off shore fishing boat I work on with a 12' long Caterpillar diesel that uses ring terminals and has been since the boat was built...

But beyond all that lets follow the logical progression of the DC circuit and what is in the circuit for the highest amperage loads we'd see on a sailboat..

Starter - Never seen a lead clamp post on one, for ring terminals only
Battery Switch - Never seen a lead clamp post on one, for ring terminals only
Windlass - Never seen a lead clamp post on one, for ring terminals only
Bow Thruster - Never seen a lead clamp post on one, for ring terminals only
Inverter or Inverter Charger - Never seen a lead clamp post on one, for ring terminals only
ANL, Class T, MRBF Bank Fusing - Never seen a lead clamp post on one, for ring terminals only
DC Watermaker - Never seen a lead clamp post on one, for ring terminals only
HO Alternator - Never seen a lead clamp post on one, for ring terminals only
HO Battery Charger - Never seen a lead clamp post on one, for ring terminals only
High Amp Shunts - Never seen a lead clamp post on one, for ring terminals only
High Amp Busbars - Never seen a lead clamp post on one, for ring terminals only

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 05-06-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook