SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hurricane Preparation
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
This isn't pertinent just to U.S. Gulf Coast/Florida readers (not to mention the people living on the islands, of course, which get pasted far more often than the U.S.). It is good information for people in Nova Scotia, which took Hurricane Juan a while back and lost boats even in Halifax's relatively sheltered harbour, or for people in Toronto, who took the storm that was once Isabelle and had more than a few lines chafe through then.

It was a while back, but Hurricane Hazel in 1954 killed over 80 people in my city with 90 knot winds. It strengthened, if only briefly, over Lake Ontario itself. I bring this up to dispell any Northern smugness about hurricane prep: the right storm at the right time can blast a much larger chunk of North America than just the southeast U.S.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Hazel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Juan
Definitely agree.

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook