SailNet Community - View Single Post - Keel: a.k.a Water Bucket
View Single Post
post #17 of Old 05-07-2014 Thread Starter
i_amcdn

Re: Keel: a.k.a Water Bucket

Thanks Ritchard
I am pressing ahead this week to meet an 11AM crane appointment on Sat but you are welcome to swing by late in the day around 5 – 730. I am just north of the big 5 legged white crane that you can see from the Gardiner at Cherry and Commissioner.

The original repair looks like it was just filler. There was no glass used. I filled in the holes with West systems thickened resin followed by 4 layers of glass and then topped with more thickened resin. I didn’t get the last coat of resin / filler thick enough as it has drooped a bit as it cured and looks a bit bumpy. This was my first experience with fillers so lesson has been learned. I will sand it down as much as I can and deal with making it pretty next fall or spring. Without access to power the sanding of the resin by hand is a PITA, especially crouched down under the hull.

Yesterday I tried to fit a pipe inside the drain pipe but it was a hair too wide. Instead I fashioned a long skinny paint brushe out of a batten and some J-Cloth and used that to “paint” thickened resin inside the pipe. The rest I used on the crack that I can see from inside the boat.

I now think that the clear water in the bilge / keel may have just been snow melt that came in around my drop boards. Once in the water I will see the results of the pipe repairs. Next fall I will add some rubber gasket around the drop boards and more completely tarp the cockpit area to keep out all snow.

I have looked at adding a bilge pump but the plumbing presents a huge challenge. Plus there is the minor technicality of there being no battery on-board. I am an ideal candidate for that wind powered bilge pump perhaps.

1981 Edel 665
Dock C, Lake Front Promenade
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome