SailNet Community - View Single Post - Question about Deck Painting Procedure for 2 part paint???
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2007
Quit calling me a member

morganmike is on a distinguished road
REMOVING THE TOERAIL CAN BE DANGEROUS.

Removing the toerail can lead to warpage of the hull-to-deck join and can make it impossible to get the toerail back on. It depends on the type of joint, but most things I have read recommend removing and replacing the toerail in sections. At the boatyard where I winter over, the pro painter does Awlgrip deck and hulls all the time and he never removes the toerail even though all other deck hardware including ports comes off. Yes, edges are where the problems start, but you have to draw the line somewhere, and the toerail is an excellent place to do it. Also, you can indeed do the deck in parts. In fact, you will mostly have to, in order to maintain a single wet edge. But even if you let the paint kick between areas, if you choose your lines to coincide with the lines made by non-skid patches you can blend sections together. I recommend getting one of Don Casey's books, which have very thorough and specific directions (and important precautions) for achieving professional looking results with two-part paints. There are many things you need to know to make a two part paint job look good. Fortunately, people have figured it out and written the book for you.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook