SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ericson 27 Newbie Needs lots of advice.

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2014   #4
Just another Moderator
Faster is a jewel in the rough Faster is a jewel in the rough Faster is a jewel in the rough
Re: Ericson 27 Newbie Needs lots of advice.

If the $1K includes new shrouds and labour that's not unreasonable, seems to me, for the three of them.

As to dropping the jib it does depend on the specific furler but generally you will have a halyard coiled up somewhere.. simply free the tail end, release the cleat/clutch/stopper and let the sail drop out of the furler groove onto the deck. Then disconnect the tack (bottom front corner) from the drum - likely a screw pin shackle - and the head (top corner) from the lower half of the furler swivel. Store the halyard to a convenient place on deck until you're ready to raise another sail.

There's a lot of convenience in having a slip over a mooring.. in your case with a free alternative I think you'd want to be sure you need the (expensive) convenience.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Faster is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook