SailNet Community - View Single Post - pics of sail covers made for lazy jack systems?
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road
Re: pics of sail covers made for lazy jack systems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Why do you want to get rid of the pig tail? Does it catch when you're sailing? There're ways to fix this. Personally, I would get the lazy jack system for ease of dropping or reefing the sails, and then use the pig tail to get the weight off the system when you're in the slip. I think chafing happens when there's a lot of wind on the boom at slip and the lazy jack lines are too tight against the boom and mast. At least the way mine are set up, they are rubbing through the coating.
This is why SailNet is great! I wouldn't have thought of that.

I haven't actually sailed the boat yet, just bought it last fall, but the previous owner warned me to always remember to remove the pig tail thingy before sailing because it's embarrassing to set off and still have the boom locked between the backstays. I'm guessing this is from personal experience…

It'll be on a mooring so the boat will always be facing head to wind, so probably won't be as much wind on the boom as if it were in a slip, but I can still see how chafe could be an issue. I guess I keep the little cross piece.