SailNet Community - View Single Post - Florida is at it again
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: Florida is at it again

The reason, according to the latest poll, that 47 percent of the people that live in Maryland want to move out is oppressive taxation, which we definitely have. 44 new taxes in the past 8 years of the O'Mally administration. The second reason was long, cold, wet, nasty winters - which we obviously had this past year for sure.

I would have bailed out of here 35 years ago, but my loving spouse says NO! So, I'm kinda stuck, but just kinda. Next fall, it's off to the Florida Keys again, and they welcome live-aboards in Marathon's Boot Key Harbor. In fact, if you wish to stay in the Mooring Field, you MUST BE a liveaboard. Same holds true for the city marina.

$300 a month will get a mooring ball for you in Marathon, while there is a free anchorage area I'm not sure how long that will be around. However, if you anchor there you must pay for a weekly pumpout, which is only fair. $5 bucks a week ain't gonna kill any cruiser I know of.

My wife might come down to visit me on this next trip, but only if my daughter or son goes with her. It would be nice to have her aboard, but I know she won't stay for long, despite the beauty of the region and fantastic sailing. That's OK, though. I've made lots of great friends down there last year and many are still there.

Cheers,

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook