SailNet Community - View Single Post - Jeanneau Attalia
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2014

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Jeanneau Attalia

Oh yeah, I know ALL ABOUT that vent for a pss shaft. I was the first one the shop did with a vent on a sail boat. Not a big deal while motoring. But first time we were sailing, my daughter went below, yells up, dad, is there supposed to be water above the floor boards?!?!?!?!

Oh sheet! so lots of bailing etc later, I figure out the vent is bringing water inside theboat. prop is moving.....so I vicegrip the end of the tube, problem solved temporarily any how. Later look at directions, and figure out the vent tube is to be ABOVE the waterline in a loop per say......opening was BELOW the water line! hmmmmmm no wonder it was siphoning into the bilge! Any way, "I" redid the vent tube, no issues with this since.

Altho a year ago, came back to boat after a few days, water again above the floor boards. See water coming in from the shaft seal. Pull boat, empty before and after pulling....... The carbon shaft seal had loosened over the years. Also again based on directions, figured out the intial installer, did not tighten the shaft seal as tight as directions call for, so when it went, it went.

not sure I would go with another pss, or go back to a packing gland, both are good, both bad.

Marty