SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchor and rode stowage
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2007

BritAbroad is on a distinguished road
Anchor and rode stowage

On my Catalina 27 (1977) we have no chain locker. This means that whenever we anchor, one of us (my wife or I) has to lug the 18lb Danforth plus bag containing 150ft of chain and nylon rode from a stern locker up to the bow to deploy.

This is a pain in good conditions, and potentially downright dangerous in nasty conditions, since the package essentially requires two hands to be carried, leaving not much left for holding on.

We have recently got an anchor holder that allows the anchor to sit on the bow pulpit, but still have a problem as to what to do with the rode. With the new anchor holder, we can at least haul the anchor and rode up to the bow in advance in good conditions, and lash the rode bag down, but this isn't an arrangement I'm happy enough to leave up there permanently. (Quite apart from security, it also clutters up the bow cleats which makes tying up at the slip problematic, and interferes with the foot of the jib.

One option I've considered is adding some sort of quick release shackle between the anchor and rode, allowing the rode to be stored in the stern, but the anchor on the bow. This seems a little scary though - the idea of my anchor rode "quickly releasing" during the night at anchor would be a concern.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? Has anyone else run into a similar issue?

Anyone know of any quick release mechanisms they'd trust their anchor with?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook