SailNet Community - View Single Post - Aries Wind Vane
Thread: Aries Wind Vane
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road
Re: Aries Wind Vane

bomb proof Ive had one and cruised on another one with the tiltup version

we actually got hit in the stern with a big aluminum boat that anchored to close to us at dusk...in galapagos and 2 days into the crossing to hiva oa we notice the drum was broken!

the one with the teeth

however my captain had power tools and rivets and all sorts of parts and we managed to tie it back together and it worked

during that crossing beleive it or not we were in constant contact with a lady from aries(in england) I beleive via sailmail) that got them the new part somewehere in the south pacific...after I left

its a very very good windvane

does need a bit of help every now and then in rolly seas but overall a great performer

we did however maintain it a lot by that I mean preventatite maintenance we OILED the hell out of the pendulum and gears, and always greased and protected all rviets and stainless parts that touched

the aluminum itself is hardened and very long lasting but as usual with dissimilar metals you will always get some corrosion if you dont peridiodically oil and grease and maintain

my last boat had the standard version mid 80s design...fixed mount

Im not familiar with the new models but dont think they have changed all that much

cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Last edited by christian.hess; 05-08-2014 at 03:30 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook