SailNet Community - View Single Post - Racing Cal 9.2
Thread: Racing Cal 9.2
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2001

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Racing Cal 9.2

I really don''t know the veracity of the claim that "Three 345s came through unscathed". I had recalled that there were Holland Designed 3/4 tonners out there but at the time that I was racing on one (may have been the smaller 1/2 ton 303) in Savannah there was a fair amount of gallows humor amoungst the crew about how they poorly made out in the Fastnet. I am reasonably certain that this ad is just plain Hyperbole in that it is my understanding that there was not a boat that came out of the race unscathed. I saw Tenacious after the 79 Fastnet and although she had won the race and had missed the worst of the storm she was a mess.

I don''t have access to my copy of "Fastnet- Force 10" but you should be able to get a copy. I would look in there. I am really skeptical that the statement that "Three 345s came through unscathed" but I can''t say for certain how much trouble they got into. I can say that in my experience with Nicholson tonners these are certainly not my idea of a boat with "excellent sea-keeping abilities".
They are fine for coastal work and the fractional rig is a very convenient rig to sail short handed.

Good Luck
Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook