SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

CS36T Question

9K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  castoff 
#1 ·
Did CS offer different keel options with the CS36, I have noticed some with a draft of 4'11" and others at 6'3". How would it compare to an Alberg 37 as a bluewater boat?

#5 · (Edited)
#7 ·
cast - This is what I do know. CS36T is 15500 lbs, 6500lbs ballast, cored topsides and deck, CS36M is a little lighter at 13300lbs. The Merlin has an enclosed aft cabin. I have the 34 and have at least 6 foot headroom in all areas. Not sure about berth length.
I think part of what makes it offshore capable is the build quality. For more specifics, I would suggest signing up at the CSOA yahoo group and post your questions. It is a very active site and most of the CS owners here are active on it. There are also members on there that were working for CS when they were being built.

#8 ·
The Niagara 35 is a very strong boat, I would not dimiss it for a cored hull.

In my opinion if a boat is properly built and maintained then a cored hull is much superior to a solid hull. Much lighter, stiffer and drier.
There are only a few places where there is potential for water ingress and they are easy to deal with.
I do not know for sure but I would be very surprised if the spots where the through hulls etc are are solid glass. If not that is pretty easy to fix.

Gary

#9 ·
I had a CS30 and now have a Merlin, both bought direct from the factory which was about 20 miles from my home. As far as I know only the Merlin, the 40 and the 34 have cored topsides (from waterline up). All the other CS boats including the 36T had solid glass hulls. The amount of ballast in the 36T depended on whether it was shoal or deep draft. The design weight of the Merlin was 13,500 but I don't think a single one came out of the factory at that weight. They all came out heavier. Mine was closer to 15000.

#12 ·
Reason I did not buy a CS 36T

The CS was on my very short list with the Niagara 35 which I did buy. A major reason for not choosing the CS was the very shallow bilge with no sump. Friends from my club went to Bermuda with one and had a good trip except that water slopped up the curve of the hull and soaked stuff in adjacent lockers. The Niagara has a very deep sump (the length of my arm when I lie on the sole).

Both boats are tough enough for offshore conditions in my opinion; both are well-built. We did Sandy Hook to Bermuda in 4 days, 8 hours in the Niagara and nothing broke. I was impressed.

As to cored hulls, if they are built properly and no one has drilled holes through the core I don't see any problem. I am not aware of any Niagaras with hull core problems except one 42 where a rub rail was installed without proper bedding. As to cored decks - almost every Niagara has core issues to a greater or lesser extent. I would imagine this would be true for other boats with balsa core decks.

#17 ·
Friends from my club went to Bermuda with one and had a good trip except that water slopped up the curve of the hull and soaked stuff in adjacent lockers. The Niagara has a very deep sump (the length of my arm when I lie on the sole).
The only thing adjacent to the bilges in the CS are the water tanks under the port and stbd settees. I find it very hard to understand how stuff in adjacent lockers got wet on a CS. yes the bilge is relatively shallow but it makes it easier to keep dry and free of odor!

Here's a link to some photo's of my CS36T. She's built like a tank and has gobs more room in both the cabin and the cockpit plus she sails a lot faster!

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/cs36

The bilge! The stringers are SOLID fiberglass inverted U shaped beams with NO wood to rot out!

#14 ·
I considered the Tartan 37 and Bristol 35.5 but the admiral narrowed the list to the Niagara and CS - likely because these were the two boats she was most familiar with.

Going through the process again - looking at something in the 40 to 44 range. Would consider a Niagara 42 if there was one available with right balance of condition/price. Don't know much about CS 40s but will have a look at one too.

#15 ·
castoff

we just signed a purchase and sales on a Niagara 35 after looking at HR rasmus, CS36, bristol 35.5, valiant 37, little harbor 38, sabre 38 and a bunch of others I don't remember. main selling points of the Niagara were condition, condition, condition - and the admiral liked the galley and shower. I was impressed with the attention to detail in the design and engineering. Survey is thursday, so we will see.

Killarney have you seen the 40' Ellis custom in maine? I can't post the link here, but looks nice. too bad its out of our price range

IWM

#16 ·
Ellis cutter

Killarney have you seen the 40' Ellis custom in maine? I can't post the link here, but looks nice. too bad its out of our price range

IWM
I have looked at that boat. It is beautifully built and in good condition but pricey considering that a lot of expensive stuff is not included (eg SSB and watermaker) that is on other boats in this price range and size. The admirals choice was a Hylas 42 but it has a strange deck arrangement - aft cockpit and mid deck companionway (not two companionways as on many boats)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.