SailNet Community - View Single Post - 24' sailboat dinghy suggestions?
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2014
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
Re: 24' sailboat dinghy suggestions?

I will agree with all those who recommended the 7.5-9 foot, slat or inflatable floor, inflatable dinghy. One that has some v shape to the bottom. Good stability. Half decent to row.

No on the inflatable kayak. You want to be transporting gear, you want that stability.

Also you say you don't want an engine. Maybe you won't, but if you get a real dinghy you can always add an engine later.

You know me, I've been there. Last year I went old avon 8 inflatable and swore I was a real sailor and wouldn't tow it. Didn't need an engine. Tow it. 9 times out of ten tow it! You will not want to be inflating and deflating every time. It may take five to ten minutes but it's a pain, it really is. They tow very nicely up there.

If you're only going to be using it a couple times a year, you can totally get by sans engine. But if you start going farther or more often you might find you want an engine. Again. I found that I wanted an engine. If it's you and your wife or girlfriend, the weight and the current, maybe some wind. Some places it's a long row. I mean like 20 minutes each way. And if you just forgot onions at the store, or need to walk the dog, or take a shower, or just go to shore to stretch you legs and take a walk. It gets long rowing. But sometimes it's fun. You'll figure out what you like. But definitely get one that can take an engine if you need to.

And no offense to the kayakers. I don't think inflatable kayaks look cool or very "pro". Just as you don't wear a dirty tee shirt that says F U on it, you want to look nice, and have people think you're hot stuff . An inflatable kayak doesn't say that, it says I'm utilitarian, or I don't care about looking cool. That's not what you want.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook