SailNet Community - View Single Post - AIS / Marine Traffic
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: AIS / Marine Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInMD View Post
My system was professionally installed; I hope it's not an installation problem.
*bites tongue* *hard*

Quote:
There is a boat called Bernadette that has her AIS on 24/7 in Chesapeake Harbour. I don't see her on either website. Perhaps it is just a dead spot.
Possible. I'm surprised those town houses block anything. They are pretty lightly constructed.

Quote:
I plan to go for a sail on Sunday. I guess I'll just have to try calling a few AIS targets and ask if they can see me.
You can also look at MarineTraffic.com (10-15 minute delay) or aprs.fi (2 or 3 minute delay) on a smartphone.

Quote:
How would I go about listening to my transmission? How would I be able to tell it's my data?
You can't tell for sure. If you hear sqaucking on 87B or 88B try pulling the antenna connector off your radio (don't transmit) and see if you still hear it, although you may still hear Bernadette.

Note that aprs.fi lets you look at data up to a week old, so even if you don't talk to anyone you can get a pretty good idea of whether you are transmitting or not.

You aren't in silent mode are you? Within 5 minutes of power-on the indicator should be green. If it is blue you are in silent mode.

dave
Raymarine Certified Technician
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook