SailNet Community - View Single Post - Topping lift loads?
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
Re: Topping lift loads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
The OP has a MacGregor 25. It never occured to me that a boat that small would have a furling main (and I don't believe that it does). I'm offering him advice.

There are very different ways of rigging a small boat vs a larger one. The loads are extremely different too. A topping lift on a small boat does not need to be complex or extremely beefy. A bit of 2000lb breaking load 1/8" dyneema does the job better than just about anything else.
But the load on even a small boat topping lift is a lot more than some would expect. If dropping the main in a lousy sea, you'd want to tighten up the boom with the sheet to keep the boom from swinging around when you are on the cabin top furling the sail, right? That's a single line topping lift versus a multi-purchase main sheet (usually of a greater size, too), which was my point. Later the halyard may be moved to the boom end, but I for one am not going to do that until secure at anchor or in the slip, just in case.