SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cape May, NJ to Salem, MA - 3 Week Cruise
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2007

kptmorgan04 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to kptmorgan04
Quote:
Originally Posted by teshannon View Post
Great post, thanks. Hope to make the same trip next year. Where do you keep your boat in Cape May. Neither Utch's nor Canyon Club had slips for a 5' 10" draft.
If you want to go to a marina the first place I would recommend for the draft would be Two Mile Landing, which is past the "two mile bridge" that opens on request on the right side right when you get through the jetties. If you are going in there, try to go in at a slack current as the current really rips through there which is why it has such deep water. Its a decent marina, with showers, but is a little bit of a hike or a long dinghy ride through the harbor to the main town area.
South Jersey Marina is I think your only other choice, though probably more expensive and is right past the Lobster House (one of Cape May's most famous restaurents, that is a must if you have never been, at least for a drink or app on the Schooner), has a feul dock, marina supply stores on site and nearby as well as being closer to downtown. The channel is dredged out for all the fishing boats coming in and out so as long as you stay in it, there should be plenty of water. I fueled up there before departing Cape May.
The anchorage has deep water right near the coast guard base but DO NOT try to get into the mooring area as it is 5 feet and below at low tide.

Cam- As far as the engine, should know for sure today and still crossing my fingers. There is definitely a leak in the fuel pump, but hopefully it is a gasket or something loose and the whole unit doesnt have to be replaced, same thing goes for the fuel injector. The stuffing box has to be replaced and should be done tomorrow. I was told it was beyond just tightening up, which I suspected with my limited research on it.

Its been great taking a lot of the things that have been discussed on here and apply them and have them make a lot more sense while onboard. Thanks to all who contribute to a wealth of information!
One of the biggest things from the trip that I am glad to have regained confidence in (after being hit with a squal and dragging the first time I ever anchored the boat about 4 months ago now) is anchoring as opposed to grabbing moorings or going into a slip. I am very glad that I extended my chain length though from 20ft to 100 giving me 300 feet of rode available.