SailNet Community - View Single Post - Docking paranoia. (yes they ARE watching)
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Jason (NOLAsailing) and welshwind expressed my thoughts on the: "I can do it and don't need your help" attitude". Unless there's a gale blowing and I'm coming in single-handed, I usually prefer to not have any dockside assistance from strangers.

I know how my boat behaves in just about every condition, and plan my docking approach accordingly. So often some bystander who doesn't know my docking style, will see my 9 ton boat angling into the dock and actually run "to my rescue". He usually grabs the bow rail - and pushes it away, thinking I'm on a collision course.

This is part of my technique - since as I make my angled approach, I reverse the engine and the paddlewheel effect on my left handed prop will straighten out the bow and kick the stern in. I then gently nudge in and kiss the dock - not the case when the clueless dockhand inadvertently pushes me away.