SailNet Community - View Single Post - AIS / Marine Traffic
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2014

SteveInMD is on a distinguished road
Re: AIS / Marine Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
*bites tongue* *hard*
Well everything else is working and their wiring is neat and orderly. Prettier than I could / would have done. Hopefully the quality is there too.

Quote:
Possible. I'm surprised those town houses block anything. They are pretty lightly constructed.
Agreed. That's why I'm surprised I'm not being pick up on the websites. But then again Bernadette isn't either.

Quote:
You can also look at MarineTraffic.com (10-15 minute delay) or aprs.fi (2 or 3 minute delay) on a smartphone.
I've been using the MarineTraffic app on my phone to see if I'm showing up. I didn't know about the delay.

Quote:
You can't tell for sure. If you hear sqaucking on 87B or 88B try pulling the antenna connector off your radio (don't transmit) and see if you still hear it, although you may still hear Bernadette.

Note that aprs.fi lets you look at data up to a week old, so even if you don't talk to anyone you can get a pretty good idea of whether you are transmitting or not.

You aren't in silent mode are you? Within 5 minutes of power-on the indicator should be green. If it is blue you are in silent mode.
According to PsroAIS2 I'm not in silent mode.

I came across this AIS 650 Has Very Short Transmit Range - Raymarine Technical Forum

I have the AIS100 splitter. My antenna is on top of the mast. I'll check the VSWR with the ProAIS2 app this weekend.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook