SailNet Community - View Single Post - AIS / Marine Traffic
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: AIS / Marine Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInMD View Post
Well everything else is working and their wiring is neat and orderly. Prettier than I could / would have done. Hopefully the quality is there too.
I apologize if I came across as snarky. I worked on three boats last week that needed significant re-wiring to get installed systems to work reliably. On one boat I pulled out 400 feet of wire abandoned in place.

Quote:
The AIS 650 runs at the Class B specified power output. The moderator response has a typo - there is no such thing as a VSWR of 0.8:1. 1.0:1 is perfect. The AIS 650 will shut down to protect itself with a VSWR somewhat above 2.0:1. Note that the original poster found an installation problem that resolved the issue.

Quote:
I have the AIS100 splitter. My antenna is on top of the mast. I'll check the VSWR with the ProAIS2 app this weekend.
I'm not a fan of splitters. I encourage my customers to avoid them. You will have a 3 dB reduction (1/2 power) through the splitter and a small additional reduction due to the additional number of connectors - bigger yet if cheap crimp connectors are used. The signal reduction applies to your VHF as well as to the AIS.

If you like we can schedule a time to meet up and I'll put an antenna analyzer on your system for you.

You can certainly get systems with splitters to work (I have). My basic recommendation is to leave the masthead antenna to the fixed VHF and put another antenna on the pushpit rail, on a spreader, or an arch. My AIS antenna is on a radar pole. I only use solder-solder silver-teflon connectors and the best coax I can get.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook