SailNet Community - View Single Post - How Low Can We Go? (hp)
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2014

juggleandhope is on a distinguished road
How Low Can We Go? (hp)

My Int'l Folkboat has an outboard well and came with a 9.8hp 2-stroke engine that weighs 60 pounds. I hate that it drags in the water when I'm sailing, I almost never run it (and then only because I'm trying to keep it from getting gunked up), and I hate that slime and barnacles colonize while it sits in the water at the mooring. My options include;
1. deal with it - life involves imperfections.
2. fill in the well and mount it on a lifting motor bracket on the transom - apparently most of the European IF-boats do this.
3. cut out a groove in the transom so that I can tilt the engine up out of the way when I'm not using it
4. lift the engine up and out of the well when I'm not using it - leaving it on its side in the lazarette.
  • buy lifting straps for current engine and just be careful not to go overboard with the 60lbs
  • buy a lighter engine

The lighter engines would be a 3.5hp Tohatsu (40lbs), a 2.3hp Honda (30lbs), or a 5hp Lehr propane (50lbs). How low hp can we go - my boat should be around 4700 lbs, full keel (though the crane operator said it weighs 6500 which seems unlikely to me). I can probably beg a couple different sized little engines at the yacht club to try out - but with all the talk in other threads about propeller pitch I wonder if it would be a fair trial. Could the Honda (also aircooled, which is nice since the water-cooler on my current one has gotten clogged for the second time now), with a big and low pitch prop, move my boat adequately? Or at least the 3.5hp Tohatsu?

Important context - the boat's used for day-sailing though I'm hoping to do a couple of short overnights this summer too. I'm strong enough that I could lift the Tohatsu pretty well with one hand and still have a hand to hold on, the Lehr would be a little challenging, but the current 60lb engine is dicey to do with one hand, given the ergonomics. I would prefer to go engineless but for the possibility of a no-wind evening and have to work next day and because my mentors at the yacht club insist that I need an engine in case of a sudden squall that would require me to douse all sail and motor against the storm. I'm in Brooklyn. Thanks in advance for your suggestions and help.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook