SailNet Community - View Single Post - Raymarine Output Problems
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Jef - I do get wind data, it's just the wrong speed (substantially higher than the wind is blowing). All of the wind data (apparent, real, direction) comes from the Raymarine C70 chartplotter via NMEA0183, which gets it from the ST60+ wind instrument via Seatalk. The Charplotter displays the wind speed correctly. I verified it is coming from the chartplotter by turning off the wind output from it via NMEA and Maptech no longer received any wind information.

SD - I've been planning on doing the upgrade to the latest version of software on the chartplotter for a couple of months but haven't gotten around to it yet. Perhaps with the resurrection of this thread I'll be motivated to do it this weekend. I haven't looked at the data with HT. Is NMEA data in cleartext or am I going to have to do some sort of binary decode on it? Funny thing about the upgrade - it adds the ability to use Navionics Platinum on the C-Series which gives you access to current and tide data, and it came out two weeks after I bought my gold plus chip. It would have been nice to have that information for my trip from Annapolis to Lake Champlain! Oh well, tis fate.

Baran - I really like the interface for the Maptech product line. It's straightforward to use, which the Raytech software is not. I believe there are some additional integration points between the Raytech software and Raymarine products - I think there is a Radar capability in it. I've found that the Maptech software allows you to zoom in and out and relocate your position a lot easier than the Raytech software. Trip planning also seems much more straightforward. The Raytech interface is almost like taking the C-Series or E-Series chartplotter interface and putting it on a PC. With regards to transferring information, I have not had any issues with anything other than the wind instruments, but a person in a slip next to me does not have the same issue and runs the same software. As an alternative, from my understanding, you can hook a remote display to an E-Series and get a remote keyboard and directly control your E-Series remotely.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook