SailNet Community - View Single Post - New Boat
Thread: New Boat
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
The Caliber is an excellent cruisers boat with decent sailing properties, great system design and excellent tankage. I like a skeg hung rudder and a more modern underbody. It would be my choice over an IP.

We put on a Schaeffer Boom Furler when we went cruising and have been most pleased with it's performance. Our main reason for installing one was safety at sea in that we could run the whole boat from the cockpit in bad weather. We did not like the in mast furlers for blue water since a jam at the wrong time would leave you no way to get the sail down (and the sailing performance would be somewhat degraded.)
The main downside is price since you need new mainsail along with the boom furler. Fortunately, we needed to replace the main anyway but our second choice would have been a Doyle StackPack or similar arrangeent.
We did add a power winch to raise the sail as it was too tedious to do it manually on our large main...but a large conventional winch would be sufficient on a smaller boat. We had great installation support from the factory and our local riggers as well so I am well sold on this particular brand but I've also spoken to Liesure Furl owners who are equally satisfied.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook