SailNet Community - View Single Post - What do YOU do in a squall?
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2007

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hi,

I experienced my first squall last week. We went on the boat around 7:30PM with the plan of watching the Perseid meteor shower. The weather forecast was for clear skies and light winds. As we headed down to the marina my wife remarked on some dark clouds. I told her the weather forecast was fine, checked it again on my mobile phone and again it was fine.

Once on the boat we headed out. Once clear of the harbor my wife pointed out some dark clouds north of us. She said those were rain clouds. I agreed they were, but the clouds were far away and we didn't need to worry. I put on the weather radio and for the first time they said a slight chance of rain.

We stayed near the harbor entrance. The storms seemed to be moving away. Then about 200 yards away I saw a wall of water moving towards us at a high rate of speed. I had enough time to say "oh sh*t". I had my wife take the wheel while I rolled in the headsail. That took about a minute, and in that time my wife and I were completely soaked. Once the headsail was in my wife went below with the kids. The wind was strong, but with just the main up the boat rode very nicely and we didn't heel very much. The squall passed in about 10 minutes.

Next time I see a storm like that I would
-take the headsail down and leave the main up
-put on PFD's
-have rain gear handy
-I might even start the motor

Good luck,
Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook