SailNet Community - View Single Post - looking for past or present owners of 1970 through 73 cal 27s
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2014

captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: looking for past or present owners of 1970 through 73 cal 27s

howdy sir! not yet. although, i have been tempted to throw that cal 25 main and one of those almost right jibs on her and take her out.

the rigger came and inspected the rigging. one outer shroud should be replaced. but the big thing is the spreaders. looking up, it's hard to tell but, it has teak spreaders...which haven't had varnish for years. he recommends replacing them with aluminum.

he originally was talking about dropping the mast, which will be hard in it's present location. however, after judicious web searching, i found a blog post on another site where a guy was taling about doing it with the stick up. i emailed that post to the rigger and he is on board with that. i need to save a little money for the materials to fab up a new set and, of course, pay him for his mast climbing services.

he said i could probably safely day sail with it, as it is. and, it is very tempting. we'll see about that.

i put in that access panel and replaced that broken cleat and a number of other needed repairs. begun the process of rebedding all the hardware. i don't know if you remember me saying i needed to replace the one plywood 'quarter berth' but, i found the reason it as in need of replacement. i have a little leakage around a winch on the port side. so, i figured that would be a good time to rebed everything, although, i don't see any evidence of leakage elsewhere.

basically, taking care of issues as i can afford to while i gather funds for the bigger stuff. i had to take a steady job, instead of freelance home improvements. i know we are supposedly in a time of great economic revival but someone seems to have forgotten to tell that to the folks around here because, since the year began, a lot of people, whose money i was counting on, had to cancel because of financial issues. it's less per hour than working for myself but it's steady. i'm doing a financial restructuring so i can afford to keep putting funds into fixding up the boat with the new job.

at present, the two big cost items, besides sails, is the spreader replacement and the haul out.

when i haul her, i am going to plug two through hulls, the one for the motor and the one that is under the V berth, which i think is for the head. composting head means no need for a through hull for that. going to replace the through hull for the galley sink drain. i think the current one looks a bit iffy. they are not cheap but worth it for the peace of mind.

i may have found a source for an inexpensive used forklift motor and controller. so, i may be doing the electric inboard, after all.

i have been tempted to just take her for a test sail, though....just to hold me till i get her done. been thinking about that a lot since the weather got nice. can't hurt, right?

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by captain jack; 05-13-2014 at 12:04 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook