SailNet Community - View Single Post - KISS-SSB grounding package review?
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2014

edakira is on a distinguished road
Re: KISS-SSB grounding package review?

Thank you both for prompt replies. I just hoisted about 48 ft of insulated copper wire (12 awg) that I had a spool of. I ran it up alongside a halyard, using a few clamps to keep the wire stable and somewhat taut. I went up the stern, keeping away from backstay, stopping about 6 ft short of top of mast. At deck, I did wrap it a few times around a SS stanchion before dropping it into an aft lazarette and connecting it to the AH-4 tuner. As a temp counterpoise, I cut an old 50' extension cord in half and ran the two 25' lengths forward and down below, keeping them parallel but at least 4-6' apart. Then I grounded the radio to a bronze thru hull w SS hose clamp. Should that theoretically be working?

Yes, surprising I passed both the tech and general tests. For me, quite a learning curve and all of this new. I'm not a techie but wanting to understand obviously. So much info out on the internet thats both useful but also completely contradictory. Thanks for any patience and suggestions for this no budget newbie.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook