SailNet Community - View Single Post - Whaddya folks think about Kettenburgs?
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2007
Cruiser/Lats and Atts TV

Moonfish is on a distinguished road
CC - Last month I met a guy at the Port of Friday Harbor who owns a beautiful Cheoy Lee Alden 32 (very pretty motorsailor from the early 70's) that he uses for charter cruises out of Lummi Island. He told me he was selling it in order to buy a Kettenburg 50 he found in San Diego. Same boat maybe?

On a somewhat saddder note, there was a K-50 berthed in a marina across from me on the Columbia River in Portland, OR about 8 years ago. Beautiful boat, the nicest in the marina. Wasn't used very much at all. Anyway, the ocean tides actually affect the Columbia there 100 miles upstream, but only by a foot or two. During extreme low water periods in the summers (holding back water further upstream at the dams), the level can drop pretty dramatically. Well, this beautiful K-50 had been sitting in it's slip for years, and when the level got low enough, it was resting on the jagged point of a very old piling on the river bottom. One low tide night during a drought, it poked clean through and sunk her in the slip. They raised her about 8 hours later, but I never found out what became of her...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Always approach the dock at the speed you wish to hit it."
s/v VENUS
1978 North Sea 33 Pilothouse Cutter (Ta Chiao)

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook